Monday, January 26, 2009

Serinda Swan cast as Zatanna on "Smallville"



22 year old model Serinda Swan doesn't exactly excite me. I always imagined Zee as more of a girl next door type, along the lines of a young Katie Holmes or Sandra Bullock. Swan seems more of a severe, mysterious Helena Christensen type. But then, the Smallville producers also cast Laura Vandervoort as Supergirl, so it seems the primary criteria for casting is looking good in beachwear. Swan's resumé doesn't help, with only 6 released IMDb credits, mostly in single television episodes in such challenging roles as "Pretty Young Woman" and "Hospital Receptionist." Anyone else wonder why free TV is dying, seeing as ex-soap opera stars apparently are too high falutin' these days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Luara Vandervoort is fine as Kara/Supergirl.

"so it seems the primary criteria for casting is looking good in beachwear"

*cough Erica Durance cough*

As for their casting for Zatanna, poor choice. Maybe its just those particular pictures, but she looks too slutty.

Diabolu Frank said...

I confess, I watch "Smallville" on blue moons, so I can't speak to Vandervoort's portrayal. I was prejudiced by her photos, which made her look like Jessica Simpson in "The Dukes of Hazzard." Helen Slater's the standard-bearer for me still.

As for Durance, from the episodes I've seen, she's just sort of there. She looks okay as Lois Lane, but comes off as a generic otherwise. She was more a replacement love interest for Lana, and not half as intrepid as Chloe.

I visited Swan's website and... no. Come on. Stop it. Ack.

The Irredeemable Shag said...

So is this just a stock photo of Swan, or is this the Zatanna costume? She's got fishnets, so I'm wondering.

The Irredeemable Shag
http://firestormfan.com
http://onceuponageek.com

Diabolu Frank said...

That was me spending an hour or so searching for the best picture of her I could find that evoked Zatanna. Found it on a fetish wear website, so I'm hoping the producers are a tad truer to the comics. By extension, no tight blue jeans or Hot Topic gear, God willing...