Tuesday, April 3, 2012

2011 The Vixen Animated Series Opening Theme Video






I rented "Thor" on Blu-Ray back in October of 2011 for my girlfriend (really,) and somehow the subject of the Odinson's theme song came up. Marvel put out a batch of extremely poorly animated shows in the 1960s, but most had catchy theme songs. Thor did not, which was why I needed to visit YouTube to refresh my memory of how it went. I know Captain America and Iron Man's by heart, but I figured I'd also check out the Sub-Mariner and Hulk's. This led me to DC's somewhat better animated but even shorter lived '60s cartoons by Filmation. It occurred to me that since I run a bunch of DC blogs and my friends do the same, the easiest crossover ever would be to just post embedded video of all the opening themes to shorts from "The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure."

Unfortunately, despite this being the least work intensive crossover ever, it hit some delays. Idle hands are the devil's playground, so I decided why not create a fake extremely limited animation Martian Manhunter opening from scratch? I'll tell you why-- because it's really difficult and time-consuming, while still looking like crap. However, I got it done, so it's online. Further, we invited more blogs to join in, even ones that never had cartoons, since there are plenty of fan-made numbers on YouTube. One guy couldn't find anything he liked that fit the bill though, since these would ideally run no more than half a minute and out. I decided to see if I could make a video for one of my left out blogs, and report back to the guy on how I did it.

There are multiple Vixen fan tribute videos on YouTube, but some run as long as fifteen minutes. I don't think casual fans can sustain that much enthusiasm for a member of Justice League Detroit. Instead of killing myself working from my DVDs, I simply used the free program YouTube Downloader to swipe other people's videos. I then trimmed clips out to fill a quick cut "opening theme" for a theoretical solo cartoon. The clips came from "Justice League Unlimited" and "Batman: The Brave and the Bold." I took the royalty-free music off of Creative Commons, and edited it using the shareware program Audacity. The individual clips were cut using Windows Movie Maker, a default program, although I did pull it all together on Nero. All told, I spent about five hours from start to finish, mostly because I'm picky about my music.

All characters and art are copyrighted by DC Comics & Warner Brothers, used for promotional and non-profit hobby purpose only. The music is "Somebody Else" by Dead Pawn Company from the album "G Funk Beatz 01." It is available through a Creative Commons limited license.

4 comments:

Hero Supreme said...

Great site and great work on Animated Anthem Day. I never knew the JL Detroit had its own site. I thought the alt universe versions of the team were one of the highlights of the Crisis on Two Earths movie! I shall need to frequent your blog more often.

Diabolu Frank said...

Yeah, I got a kick out of their appearance in that flick, and it even made the Outsiders semi-spiffy.

Anonymous said...

i was reading JLA 39 1990 ( a masterpiece, and ¨The dead of superman¨comic total ripoff this) .. anyway the vilain is Despero, Gypsy is there, some cameo of Steel. (yep Martian is there too.)

Who are this guys? i was thinking.. so searching, i found your blog, man thats i what call love and devotion.

Arthur Canning said...

That is really cool.You must be the one one to "create" an opening for the event?
It funky, and fun as hell..
Well done, Frank
A.