Sunday, June 24, 2012

2011 DCnU JLI art by TJ Frias

Click To Enlarge


"Here's another sketch based on DC's relaunch, Justice League International featuring Batman, Booster Gold, Green Lantern Guy Gardner, August General in Iron, Fire, Ice, Vixen and Rocket Red. There's of course a mystery female member who's been pulled from DC's promo art. This is, of course, a tribute to Kevin Maguire, one of the dudes that truly gave life to the JLI.

Initial thoughts about the relaunch: JL and the subsequent JLI by Giffen, DeMatteis, and Maguire was my favorite Justice League run. It was eventually taken over by Dan Jurgens (I believe on art chores and maybe writing), and he is now penning this. It was a let-down then and I'm afraid it may be again. As far as costuming goes, I didn't think Booster needed a change. Vixen's could be better. I don't know what Fire's non-flaming look looks like. I'll refrain from commenting on the roster till I read some more."

3 comments:

The Irredeemable Shag said...

I love the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire JLI and the current JLI, so this made me smile!

Shag

Diabolu Frank said...

I've always loved this arrangement. It's like Meet The Beatles! in its iconic simplicity.

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

awesome sketch i love it! i actually like that it's uncolored.